October 4, 2009

Cultural list

I've decided you can't really rate if one album is more culturally significant than another, unless one is total shit and the other is 'are you experienced'.   Anyway here's my compilation of important albums of the last decade.

M.I.A. - Arular
Electro and hip hop mixed with post african rhythms.  The sounds of this record definitely help define the decade with everyone from Santigold to Vampire Weekend taking influence.  Producer Diplo probably had no idea he was helping shaping the sound of the next 10 years in music.

Feist - The Reminder
Soft, quirky, indie girl music.  This is everywhere right now and I think it's thanks to this album, although Feist did have previous albums and a few other artists in this genre have been around longer. 
It seems the softer you sing and the cuter the sounds (xylophone, bells, acoustic guitar, piano) the more popular you become.  The 'Juno' and '500 days of Summer' soundtracks' are the pinnacle collections of this crap.

The Strokes - Is This It?
The Indie Garage rock revolution of the early 2000's was lead by The Strokes.  They weren't the best of the group, but they were the most renowned and will definitely go down in history as 'pioneers'.  I thought they were passionless wankers personally.

The Libertines - Up The Bracket
That whole indie band with clean guitars with happy vocals and drug fueled rockstar thing started here as far as I'm concerned.  So many bands do it these days it's insane. 

Daft Punk - Live
The revival of the robot duo was cool at first, then everyone started ripping them off, and dance music became bigger than jesus.  Thanks to this, Triple J plays less rock music now than Rise FM (the all dance station).

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say, That's What I'm Not
Part of the Britpop revival with Kasabian and a few others. I guess it's more an homage than a revival. 
Anyway, they're also one of the first bands to use myspace to gain popularity.  Now it's a barren landscape of terrible bands with friend adding bots leaving fake comments of, 'hey, how are you?  Come check out my new song I'm a douchebag'.



Anyway, that's what I reckon.  It seems shoegaze is the new thing with bands like 'The Big Pink' dominating NME's hype fest.   Let me know what you think champions!

The Vignettes


No comments:

Post a Comment